|The compost bin with holes drilled in the side|
A few months ago I decided to make a compost bin for the balcony and last weekend I opened it up to see how it had done and to start using the soil created. The balcony compost bin setup I used was an old used rubbish bin with lid. Rubbish bins generally don't have holes in them as they are designed not to leak so this was the first step. I drilled lots of holes into all the sides and the base for drainage and aeration to assist in decomposing the materials added to the bin. These are very important aspects to a good compost heap. Without drainage and aeration you will end up with a very smelly anaerobic compost heap or bin. On a balcony you do not want this and nor do your neighbours! In the base of the bin I placed some branches about 50 to 100 mm deep with a piece of fly screen mesh over the top. This helps with drainage in the base of the compost. I then placed some old potting mix as a bed over the top to of the fly screen.
|Compost in Bin - Broken egg shells visible|
|Some of the compost spread around the existing pots.|